Monday, November 22, 2010

INTERVIEW : JENNIFER LIM


JENNIFER LIM

Jennifer Lim is a bit of an icon in modern horror, becoming somewhat of a star amongst horror fans with her character 'Kana' in the Eli Roth's splatter movie Hostel. Since then she has gone on to star in the first Horror film series made directly for Mobile Phones in the form of When Evil calls alongside Sean Pertwee and Chris Barrie.

Mycho : How did you get started in acting and what made you decide you wanted to be an actor?

JENNIFER : I've always wanted to be an actor as long as I can remember. I guess it started when I was about 6/7 years old when my nan would take me to the movies and I'd recreate the scenes back at home with my dolls! It sounds mad but I guess story-telling, make-believe and being different characters became an intergral part of my young life. As I grew older, I realise that we've only got this one life and it's far too boring to just do one thing so I guess acting became the natural option. You can be different people in one life!

Mycho : How did you end up with the role of 'Kana' in Hostel?

JENNIFER : I went for the audition and sat in a room with lots of other girls who went into the casting suite screaming their heads off. Guess they liked my scream :)

Mycho : Is it strange now being connected to such a 'modern classic' and how was the experience during shooting?

JENNIFER : I feel really honoured and priviledged to be part of the 'Hostel' experience. I don't think anyone imagined it to have such a huge impact upon its release when we were shooting it. It was one of the best experiences of my life - a really lovely and happy atmosphere when we were shooting it and it was a real joy to work with all these people who were so enthusiastic and passionate about what they were doing.

Mycho : What was Eli Roth like to work with?

JENNIFER : He's a complete sweetheart and totally nuts about horror! He totally loves what he does and is really passionate about the genre. My abiding memory of him was the first time we met - he came into the makeup trailer and saw my 'eye' for the first time. He was like a kid in a candy store - he was really chuffed with the gore and kept encouraging the makeup guy to 'juice it up'!

Mycho : You starred in When Evil Calls, The first series/film shot for mobile phones, how did you get involved in the project?

JENNIFER : I was told about it by a friend of the producer who was looking for someone to play another part. I wasn't interested in the original part but when the producer heard that I was in 'Hostel', he asked to meet me and considered me for the main girl who they were having trouble casting.

Mycho : Over the past 5 years you seem to have become an icon in Horror, do you enjoy working in the genre?

JENNIFER : Yes, I do. I think there's a lot to be said for horror films - they are fun to make and it's a carthartic experience for both the actors and the viewers.

Mycho : What is the film you are most proud of as an actress?

JENNIFER : 'Hostel' - definitely!

Mycho : Any plans to do another Horror film in the near future?

JENNIFER :  If the right offers come along, then definitely yes. I was supposed to do a supernatural horror with a British director last year but the project fell through which was a shame.

Mycho : Is there anyone you would most like to work with in the film industry?

JENNIFER : There are lots I would love to work with. Quentin Tarantino would be on the top of my list.

Mycho : What's next for Jennifer Lim?

JENNIFER : Not sure yet. Am attached to a project in America that they're looking to put it together and I've got a few tiny projects of my own - have written a supernatural thriller and hope to get that off the ground. Fingers crossed!

Mycho 




No comments:

Post a Comment